- Keep your furniture away from air conditioner air intake. Air conditioners may be blowing cool air into your room, but all that heat they’re removing has to go somewhere. Keeping your air conditioner intake clear with a clean filter can increase the life of your air conditioner by allowing air to flow, and the coils to not freeze over.
- Change your filter regularly. Changing your filter is the most important part of air conditioner maintenance. We recommend changing it every three to six months for optimal ac health. There are several different types of filters you can buy. If you’re allergy-prone or simply want cleaner air, HEPA filters are great for purifying the air while also cooling you down. There are also standard fiberglass and cardboard frame air conditioners, pleated, and electrostatic filters. Consult your air conditioner user guide to find the right filter for your unit.
- Clean the coils. Be sure to turn off and unplug your air conditioner before you clean its coils. Check your ac unit’s user guide to find how to access the coils or call us. Clean coils allow your unit to run efficiently and to manufacturer recommended specs and energy usage. Proper air flow through your evaporator coil and condenser coil ensures your compressor will not over amp and run as recommended.
- Run your air conditioner every few months. Even if you don’t need to cool your home down, running your air conditioner for a few minutes every two months can increase the life of your unit. This way, you’ll know before the temperature hits 90 degrees if your unit needs repairs.
- Set your ac unit to the energy saver mode. It might be tempting to turn your air conditioner on full blast all day during the hot summer months, but this doesn’t add to the life of your unit. Keeping your unit on the energy saver settings only turns your unit on when it automatically detects the room is getting hot. Plus, this helps you save a little extra money on your energy bills, which is something we all want!
These are basic steps to ensuring your ac unit has a long energy efficient life.