Why You Should Call a Professional To Check Your Furnace
A comfortable and healthy home environment requires a heating system in tip top shape. To keep your home in safe and warm in the winter, you should be on the lookout for signs that your furnace needs a professional check up.
Here are some warning signs indicating it’s time to call a professional:
- Older furnace– If your furnace is over 15 years old, then you can expect repairs to become more frequent. However, if these repairs become major and they end up costing you hundreds of dollars, it is time to invest in a new heating unit. Keep in mind that the average lifespan of a furnace is 15-20 years.
- Rise in utility bills– Noticed an unexpected rise in your home’s gas utility bill? This may be largely due to an issue with your furnace. Because heating costs account for about 50 percent of your utility bills during the winter months, it is very important to have a high performing furnace.
- Furnace repairs within the last 2 years– If your furnace has required a repair within the last 2 years, you should think about replacement options. Repairing your furnace is an easy, less expensive solution to heating your home, however, sometimes it makes more sense to invest in a newer, more efficient model. So why are we referring to repairs made within the past two years? Furnaces incur the most breakdowns in the last 2 years of their lives!
- Yellow flame– To make sure your home is not being filled with dangerous carbon monoxide gas, it is important for you to occasionally check the color of your burner’s flame. It should be blue! If you ever notice that you have a yellow, flickering flame, this may be a sign that poisonous carbon monoxide is being created by your furnace. If this is ever to occur, you should exit your home immediately and call in professionals.
- Strange noises– Old furnaces can start to make some strange noises as they get toward the end of their life. If you have heard any loud, strange noises coming from your furnace over the past month, we encourage you to get your heating system checked by one of our trained professionals.
- Dry or dusty home – Old furnaces will often lack the ability to moisturize and clean the air in your home. If you notice that your home has become unusually dry or dusty, it is always a good idea to have an HVAC expert come in to check your furnace.
- Family is frequently sick – With older furnaces, it is more likely for carbon monoxide, to leak into your home undetected. This poisonous gas can lead to frequent headaches, a burning feeling in your nose or eyes, nausea, disorientation, or flu-like symptoms.
Have you noticed any of the above signs in your home? If so, it is important to find a fix to the issue or replace the furnace and if needed the ventilation ductwork as well to prevent a small issue from becoming a larger inconvenience.